Hydrogen from Enhanced Microbial Electrolysis, Just Add Saltwater

By Zachary Alexander on

Given the world’s growing water crisis, confounders are quick to point out the dangers of clean hydrogen production from electrolysis. Professor Bruce Logan and Post-Doc Younggy Kim (i.e. researchers at Penn State) have developed a hydrogen convergence process that solves many of the known challenges. Their solution “extracts energy from the ionic differences between salt water and fresh water” to aid microbial electrolysis.

As you know, confounders like to harp on the use of electricity to generate hydrogen. Microbial Electrolysis uses bacteria to clean waste water and produce hydrogen. Reverse Electrolysis (i.e. fresh water versus seawater differential) or RED stacks generate enough electricity to drive hydrogen production. This means no electricity from any outside source (i.e., wind, solar, nuclear) is needed.

Furthermore, the Penn State researchers have successfully experimented with platinum-free electrodes. This will dramatically reduce the material costs. Hydrogen Convergence will save lives in the developing world and provide new demand for fully industrialized economies. Now is the time to organize hydrogen convergence colonies (i.e. industry clusters) because evolution and creative destruction take no prisoners.

Zachary Alexander